We are starting a new blog series keeping in line with our FRESH thinking of FOOD! Everyone is always struggling with ideas on how to incorporate healthier foods into their diet so this week we are exploring coconut. Here are…
10 Ways to Try Coconut
- Coconut Oil – Cook with it! Replace vegetable oils with coconut oil. It is a great tasting healthy fat with the bonus that you can cook with it at high temperatures. Oppositely, olive oil and canola oil should never be used at high heat as it turns rancid. The oil is also a fabulous natural moisturizer!
- Coconut Flour – Bake with it! A great gluten free & grain free option for making pancakes and other baked goods.
- Coconut Water – Hydrate with it! A natural alternative to your typical sports drink. However, it contains more potassium, less sugar and sodium and is also rich in electrolytes. It is perfect for hydrating yourself after intensive exercise. If you don’t like the taste – try using it in a smoothie!
- Coconut Milk – Flavour it up! A healthy fat alternative to cow’s milk. Can be used in cooking (think Thai & Indian cuisine) and also a great flavour for any smoothie.
- Shredded Coconut – With coconut being high in antioxidants and a source of dietary fibre – shredded coconut is a great addition to baking and a grain-free option for porridge and bread crumb replacement (i.e. Coconut Chicken Fingers)
- Coconut Sugar – Sweeten it! A natural sweetener that can replace white or brown sugar in any cooking or baking recipe. It also has a low Glycemic Index making it a better option for people with diabetes.
- Coconut Aminos – Flavour it! This product is made from the sap of a coconut tree. It is rich in amino acids, minerals, vitamin C and B vitamins. You can use it to directly replace soy sauce in dressings, marinades, stir-frys & sauces.
- Coconut Vinegar – Add tang! Another healthy vinegar option much like apple cider vinegar. It is low on the Glycemic Index and still contains the culture of organisms that cause the fermentation – therefore providing digestive support. Contains many minerals like magnesium, potassium, zinc and iron to name a few.
- Coconut Yogurt – Snack on it! Whether you make it from scratch using coconut meat, water and a probiotic or buy it off the shelf – it’s a great non-dairy alternative. Word of caution – be mindful of added sugar and artificial flavours in store bought.
- Coconut Butter – Spread it! Different from the oil, which is extracted from the coconut meat. The butter is the whole meat pureed into a creamy consistency. It can be used much like any other nut butter and contains both fibre and protein. It can be added to smoothies, sauces, salad dressings & baked goods.
Health Benefits of Coconuts:
- Promotes weight loss and helps maintain healthy body weight
- Reduces the risk of heart disease
- Supports thyroid function
- Increases metabolism and energy
- Prevents bacterial, viral, and fungal infections
- Helps control diabetes and chronic fatigue
- Improves digestive disorders such as Crohn’s disease and IBS
- Protects against alcohol damage to the liver
- Rejuvenates skin and prevents wrinkles
until next time – we DARE you to try it. So good and Good for you!